Below are some details about book orders for fall 2022 courses. This will be updated as further details are provided by professors. For now consider these lists as in-progress.
ENGL 500 Theory
- Leitch, Vincent B., et al, eds. The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism. 3rd ed. Norton, 2018. ISBN: 978-0393602951.
ENGL 508 History of Drama
- The Norton Anthology of Drama, Shorter Third Edition, ISBN: 9780393283501.
ENGL 514 Ulysses
- Joyce, James. Ulysses (The Gabler Edition). Penguin Random House, 1986. ISBN: 9780394743127.
There are different versions of Ulysses in print, and some you can find for free since the book is in the public domain in some countries (not all). The fact of multiple versions of the book existing in print is part of the strangeness of Ulysses and is something we’ll discuss in class. The version I’ll be referring to throughout the semester is what’s called the Gabler edition, and I’ll explain what that is, and why it’s called that, when the semester begins.
Recommended; might want to wait until the semester starts to decide on these:
- Gifford, Don. Ulysses Annotated: Notes for James Joyce’s Ulysses, 20th Anniversary Edition. ISBN: 9780520253971.
- Hastings, Patrick. The Guide to James Joyce’s Ulysses. ISBN: 9781421443492.
- Homer, The Odyssey. Translated by Fagles. ISBN: 9780140268867.
ENGL 515 Magical Realism
ENGL 540 Shakespeare
No required book purchases. Public domain and open-education resources will used. Students will be able to use what versions of assigned works they might already possess. Details will be provided in the class.
ENGL 546 Working Women in the USA 1865 – Present
Many readings will be provided in the class. Students should secure a copy of:
- Oates, Joyce Carol. Marya: A Life. ISBN 9780062269218
ENGL 560 Literature of the Black Atlantic World
- Cole, Teju. Open City. Random House Trade Paperbacks, 2012. ISBN: 978081298009.
- Danticat, Edwidge. The Dew Breaker. Knopf, 2004. ISBN: 9781400041145.
- Marquez, Gabriel Garcia, Of Love and Other Demons.1994. Vintage, 2008. ISBN: 9781400034925.
- Walcott, Derek. Omeros. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1992. ISBN: 9780374523503.
- Williams, Roy. Sing Yer hearts Out for Lads. 2002. Methuen Drama, 2008. ISBN: 9780413774262.